Monday, October 18, 2010

Why I Wrote True Love Weds

An Invitation to Brave the Journey
(Or Why I Wrote True Love Weds)
By Grace Gaston-Dousel
My ear was red and aching. Nearly two hours of being on the phone in the middle of the night is not exactly my idea of a night cap. But this time, I had to patiently listen to a friend bare her heart. In between sniffs she shared how she felt so low, so bad, so destitute. She has finally realized she needed to shape up. But she didn’t know where to begin or where to draw the strength to make the first step.
It was so easy for me to judge her. She had committed the same mistake twice. In both cases, she was left with a baby to bring forth and raise all by herself. Her parents couldn’t care less because they see her as the black sheep with no redemption. Her siblings scorn her for bringing shame upon shame and trouble upon trouble into their otherwise perfect family. Previously earning well in a call center, she is now without a job due to absences. With a three year old daughter and a three month old baby boy, she found herself knocking at her parents’ house. While she was accommodated, it was not without painful words.
“I know I have to set things right for me and my children. I just had an argument with my boyfriend about my daughter. He obviously does not love her because she is my child from a previous relationship. I can’t blame him. But I also can’t live without him. I love him. I’d do anything to get him to come back.” I couldn’t bring myself to sympathize with her a hundred percent. I wanted to say, “Your stupidity is what got you into this mess. You always hook up with the wrong men.” Instead the words that came out were verses from Isaiah 33:6: He will be the stability in your times; a rich store of wisdom, knowledge and peace; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure. After a few more insights, I ended our long phone call with a prayer.
People ask me why I wrote True Love Weds. I must admit that at the beginning I simply wanted to share with my readers how True Love Waits (the movement and the curriculum that I co-wrote) helped me wait, find and wed my true love. Five years after True Love Weds was first launched, I found myself giving a different answer.
I wrote True Love Weds (with its new chapter and discussion guide) because I long for more young adults to experience the wonderful life that results from a love life submitted to the lordship of Christ. My heart breaks at the sight of single mothers like my friend. My arms ache for children born out of unwanted pregnancies and more so for nameless babies whose lives were snuffed by an abortionist’s needle. I am bothered by the growing number of men and women who walk around searching aimlessly for true love yet search for it in one sexual encounter after another. I am frightened at the thought that in the supposedly conservative Asian society, about four to five cases of HIV are being noted daily due to sexual promiscuity. I am shaken at the increasing tolerance of marriage-less unions and rampant divorce. I am alarmed at the thought that families are being broken every minute due to the absence of God’s presence.
True Love Weds is not just my story. It is a proof that there is still true love that weds, that marriage is not passé, that a happy family life is not utopia. It is a real take on what it means to pursue the path of purity and enjoy its prize. It is my challenge to anyone who wishes to find true love to wait and honor God in every step. It is my honest confession of how much work marriage takes and the wondrous joys it brings. It is an invitation to brave a difficult journey that leads to a magnificent destination.

11 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank God because He enabled you to write this book. True Love Weds is indeed very inspiring for the young people who are still searching for their God's best. - Agape Genio

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to thank you, Ms. Grace (same with Gap), but most especially to God, for using you to remind us that true love really waits and eventually can be a happy ending fairytale, as long that it is according to God's will and His plans. I've enjoyed reading this book and it helped me and my fiancée a lot, asking God's will for everything. -Yhanne Bermejo

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger grace gaston-dousel said...

Thanks for your comments. It makes me marvel at God's greater plan for my little story. Indeed, He is a God who loves to give the best to those who earnestly seek him. God bless you, Gap (my dear cousin) and Yhanne.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Mariah Gadapan said...

until now, im blessed with this book...thanks ms grace for writing it. i received an award now im giving this recognition...check it out....http://woman-with-a-mission.blogspot.com/2011/02/thanks-for-this-award-stylish-blogger.html

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Find a Love said...

I read it. It's deep. I'm impressed. Thanks Grace, God Bless You :)

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ma'am Grace, I really love your book, I bought last year at the SMX convention at a yearly book fair. You got my book signed. I thank God for letting you inspire many young people like us concerning love and marriage.

God bless you and your family exceedingly...

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous omega said...

i just bought your book, TRUE LOVE WAITS when the waiting is over....i am so blessed exceedingly.i was
reaffirmed in your book that "it really pays to wait".I had even shared it to some of my friends.How i wish teen agers nowadays and the youth of the churches today would read that before they would say " i wish i've had that book before i did this....."
yes, by God's grace i will wait for His own perfect time.i have to wait and wait for Him with HOPE and JOY.
btw i bought ur book last month hir at pcbs-dumaguete,neg or.was intrigued by ms maloi's foreword.it's indeed great!may Godbless you more po.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Dousel Training & Consultancy said...

Thanks, everyone for these affirming words. In case you wish to connect with me further, do email me at trueloveweds@gmail.com or ggdousel@gmail.com

Thanks again!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post! such a blessing

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous POEA Ph Jobs said...

Thanks for everyone to share your comments specially to mam Grace.

God bless you always.. - Ana

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Where can I get this book in Singapore?
Thanks a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home