Thursday, October 26, 2006

Dreaming

The following is an email exchange between me and two of my friends. Read about a dream and tell me what you think.

FROM ME to Z:
hi z! a former classmate in UP who recently became a Christian and got hold of my book emailed me. below is an excerpt. just want to share it with you. let me know what you think.

Hey, Grace...how are you doing? This Christian women's magazine will truly be a God-sent to modern Filipinas. Please pray about this and let God give you the wisdom and discernment to come up with the best concept for this publication. I realize that with your background in broadcom, you will explore new heights as a writer and Christian leader! To God be the glory! Sige na, I'd love to share some things that may help you get started. Like what it could be like or whatever. I have yet to see a quality Christian mag that can parallel or surpass the popularity of Cosmo! Honestly, I used to read this mag when I was unsaved yet, but now, whenever I read it, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Never has the woman been taken away from God's promise in her life that this worldly mag that glorifies sex as a lifestyle for the modern Filipina. Hello?! It grieves me that Filipinas down here crave it like crazy. Nakaka-demean. The decadent lifestyle promoted by this mag has destroyed God's promise for Filipinas that it makes me ill. Talaga po. I will bring a sample mag that you may want to browse and get some ideas from. Or...is there already an existing popular Christian women's mag here? This is an ambitious endeavor, but with God, nothing is impossible! I am just sharing with you what I'd love to see in the Philippines. Buti nga at may mga Pinay pa na katulad mo. I've been so wrapped up with my little family church up in Washington that going back to the "world" literally struck me like a bolt of lightning. Mahirap pero go pa rin in Jesus' name!

Smiling but not pressured
grace

FROM Z to ME:
There was Aglow in the early 90s which followed the format of parlor magazines (Woman's Today, Woman's Home Companion, etc.) but it folded soon afterwards for unknown reasons. I would guess it's money. Magazines are hard work and to make it "Christian" would make it such a losing proposition since the market will be miniscule. Given that not all Christian women will buy, the market might be infinitisimal or however that is spelled. Can't even pronounce it.My suggestion would be is not to make it outright Christian so as not to "alienate" non-believers but to make it wholesome and practical. In short, the exact opposite of Cosmo. It can then be read by any woman who appreciates decency as well as stands everything against what Cosmo and all other magazines stand for.

Z

FROM ME to Z cc'ed to F (my classmate):
That's right. To make it too Christian would really limit the audience. I totally agree to a non-alienating piece of work that can cut across the board and make an impact regardless of who's reading it. Anyway, it's good to dream. Perhaps someday the dream will come true.

FROM MY U.P. CLASSMATE:
I appreciate your reply to my suggestion. This is a confirmation that our country is not yet ready for an ambitious mag like this. Let's just consider it as a dream and a germ of an idea that takes a century or half in the making (not a thousand years, hope not! hehehe). We can always do God's way, PRAY for the Pinays who are currently shackled to strongholds of Satan's deceit. I am going back to Negros and help a church down there. They are holding a youth camp in December. It's a pretty big church. Maybe I can use your materials for training down there, I'm not sure yet because I need to talk with the youth pastor down there. But I'm definitely bringing your book! It's a radical and moving book about God-written romances. Every young girl who hopes to meet her true Prince someday should read this. Well, being single, I already met my Prince. Jesus. Hahaha. Seriously, I am considering the choice of a mate, too. But I leave it all for God to decide. His choice of guy for me is not yeat clear in this matter.

Thanks,
F

So, what do you think?

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Interesting idea.

This is one reason I'm so thankful for the internet. With just a few clicks, we can publish something that is available to anyone with a computer! We live in a blessed time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home